Temporary Garbage and Recycling Service Changes
Update - April 15, 2020
WCA, the City’s garbage and recycling provider, has notified the City that they will resume normal garbage and recycling services throughout the Houston region the week of April 20, 2020. Therefore, normal garbage and recycling services will resume in Spring Valley Village with the regularly scheduled garbage pick-up on Tuesday, April 21, 2020. Recycling services will resume with the regularly scheduled garbage and recycling pick-up on Friday, April 24, 2020.
Update - April 3, 2020
As we notified our residents on April 1, 2020, WCA, the City’s garbage and recycling provider, has made service changes concerning garbage, bulk waste, and recycling during the COVID-19 situation. If you did not see the message from April 1, 2020, please see "Update - April 1, 2020" below.
Based on questions received from residents, the City has received additional clarification regarding bulk waste and information on locations that residents may go and drop off their recyclables.
- Bulk waste pick up days are the same as your regular garbage days (Tuesdays and Fridays).
- Bulk waste may be placed out on either or both pick up days.
- A maximum of two bulk waste items will be accepted on pick up days. Examples of bulk waste items are furniture and yard waste such as tree limbs.
- If you typically fill a trash cart with yard waste, that trash cart counts as one bulk waste item and may be set out along with your regular household trash cart on pick up days.
- Recycling services have been suspended during the COVID-19 period, so please do not set out recycling carts or bins at this time.
- For residents who are avid recyclers, you have two options:
(1) Hold on to recyclables until recycling service resumes; or
(2) Take your recyclables to one of the following drop-off centers that are open to the public:
*GreenStar Recycling 1200 Brittmoore Road, Houston, Texas 77043
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
*Waste Management 4939 Gasmer Drive, Houston, Texas 77035
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Drop off bins are located in the front of the facility. The green bin is for mix recycling and the orange bin is for glass only.
Update - April 1, 2020
WCA, the City’s garbage and recycling provider, has notified the City of service changes that are effective today due to the current COVID-19 situation. At this time, WCA’s priority is shifting to collecting regular household trash first since this is the material that begins to breakdown, decompose, and smell first in the Houston heat.
Service days will remain the same; however the following changes are effective today:
- Residents must separate regular household trash from bulk waste to ensure proper and timely collection.
- For regular household trash: This trash should be bagged and placed in the garbage poly-cart.
- For bulk trash: In addition to the regular cart, WCA will accept 2 bulk items. This could be a piece of furniture, yard waste, etc. placed out on your regular bulk service day. For example, if you had one bag of yard waste and a small piece of furniture, that would be the two items you would be able to put out.
- WCA will not be collecting carpet or construction materials until the situation with COVID-19 has ended.
- Recycling Services have been suspended until further notice.
- Recycling Service will not be made up or pushed to another service day.
WCA made these decisions due to the severity of the conditions and safety concerns to our community and the WCA family. We thank you for your partnership and for your patience and continued trust in WCA/VF Waste Services.
Update - March 16, 2020
Trash services provided by WCA have been designated by Mayor Ramsey as an essential service, and WCA will continue to provide these services to our City as usual. WCA has requested that all trash be contained within closed garbage bags. This is for the protection of the workers who pick up garbage for our residents. Having trash contained within closed (tied) bags will help protect them and their families.